Saturday, January 8, 2011

CYACC Project

Dear DSI Self-Advocate and Family:

I am writing this letter to ask you to help with a project I have started. The project is to teach doctors how to take better care of their patients with intellectual disabilities. I believe that self-advocates and their families are some of the best teachers. I would love to have the best help possible!

One of the ways I would like to teach the doctors is by having them practice in a classroom that looks like a doctor’s office. In this classroom, actors pretend to be patients so the doctors can practice their doctor skills. I am asking if you would like to be an actor in this classroom. It will mean coming to the classroom at least twice. The first time will be practice for you. You will see what the classroom is like. You will learn how to act like a patient in the classroom. We will practice the kinds of questions the doctors will ask and how you should answer them. We can have extra practice for you if we decide this is needed. The second time will be practice for the doctors. This time, you will spend 2 hours acting as a patient for 4 different groups of doctors. They will ask you questions and you will answer like we practiced. After each group of doctors, you will have the chance to tell them how they did. I would like you to tell the doctors if you could understand them and if they listened well to you.

The date for the second session is 2-4pm on Wednesday, May 25th, 2011. There will be a day (or more) to work with me to learn your part before May 25th. I will hire and pay each of the actors for their time and help. If you think you would like to be an actor for this, please email me (kamweber@iupui.edu) or call the Center for Youth and Adults with Conditions of Childhood (CYACC) at Riley Hospital at 317-948-0060. Please also let me know if you have questions to help you decide if you would like to be an actor.

Sincerely,



Katie Weber, MD
Associate Professor of Clinic Medicine and Clinical Pediatrics
Indiana University School of Medicine
Center for Youth and Adults with Conditions of Childhood (CYACC)

No comments:

Post a Comment