Thursday, February 3, 2011

Mark to Drive a Car!

I just love this story and am reprinting it with permission from Self Advocate’s of Indiana….

Mark Hublar has never let Down syndrome hold him back. Recently he began driving a car.

The 46 year old New Albany resident and Board Member of Self Advocates of Indiana as well as a member of Self Advocates of Southern Indiana, got his learner’s permit in October and will soon take his driver’s license test. In recognition of Mark’s efforts, the local Maaco Collision Repair & Auto Painting Center painted his 1998 Toyota at no charge.

Mark had been riding his scooter to his job at Wal-Mart and now can drive a great-looking car. “I’ve known Mark’s family a long time and wanted to support his efforts, which are such an inspiration to me and many other people in the area,” Terry Bird of Maaco said.

Mark said, “I always wanted to have my own car so mom gave me her car. I wanted it to look nice so I took it to my buddy Terry to paint it. He did a great job and said it was free. He is my buddy and I am going to give him a ride when I get my license.”

Mark serves on SAI’s Board of Directors as an appointed At-Large member. This article contains information that appeared in a Maaco press release from December 1, 2010.

P.S. For those of you who do not know Mark, he was the winner of a 2008 Down Syndrome Indiana Star Award. Go Mark! For more amazing stories about what our advocates are accomplishing, please plan on attending the Parent Network Meeting on Tuesday, February 22nd at St. Luke’s United Methodist Church in Indianapolis, IN from 6pm to 8pm.

Prepare to be inspired…

Lisa Tokarz-Gutierrez
Executive Director
2625 N. Meridian Street, #49 Indianapolis, IN 46208
317-925-7617 Office
317-313-9615 Cell
317-925-7619 Fax

No comments:

Post a Comment