Please ask congress to pass the ABLE Act. Here are 10 Reasons why the ABLE Act should be passed:
1. There shouldn’t need to be a law in place to allow people with a disability to save money for their future without losing much needed benefits.
2. The ABLE Act has 437 co-sponsors in the House and Senate combined.
3. Over 250,000 Americans agree that it is time to Pass the ABLE Act. Visit: http://www.change.org/petitions/congress-pass-the-able-act to add your voice.
4. An ABLE account could fund a variety of essential expenses for individuals, including medical and dental care, education, community based supports, employment training, assistive technology, housing, and transportation.
5. It will eliminate barriers to work and saving by preventing dollars saved through ABLE accounts from counting against an individual’s eligibility for any federal benefits program.
6. The ABLE Act provides individuals with disabilities the same types of flexible savings tools that all other Americans have through college savings accounts, health savings accounts, and individual retirement accounts.
7. The bill would supplement, but not supplant, benefits provided through private insurances, the Medicaid program, the supplemental security income program, the beneficiary’s employment, and other sources.
8. The ABLE Act would amend Section 529 of the Internal Revenue Service Code of 1986 to create tax-free savings accounts for individuals with disabilities.
9. The legislation also contains Medicaid fraud protection against abuse and a Medicaid pay-back provision when the beneficiary passes away.
10. The bill aims to ease financial strains faced by individuals with disabilities by making tax-free savings accounts available to cover qualified expenses such as education, housing, and transportation.
IT IS TIME TO GET THE ABLE ACT PASSED. Make your voice heard! Visit: http://www.ndss.org/Advocacy/Legislative-Agenda/Creating-an-Economic-Future-for-Individuals-with-Down-Syndrome/Achieving-a-Better-of-Life-Experience-ABLE-Act/ for a list of ways that you can take action on this important issue.